Gone are the days of soggy hot dogs from the corner vendor. Now people can enjoy mouthwatering bites, in just minutes, from the thousands of food trucks, carts, and stalls across the county. From Seattle’s Street Food Festival to Cincinnati’s own Food Truck Alley at the Taste of Cincinnati, street food made its mark on 2018. Let’s take a look at some of our favorite street eats over the past year.
- JianBing. In the mood for something crunchy? Chewy? Sweet? Savory? All of the above? If so, you have to get your hands on this popular Chinese breakfast street food. A trip to New York City will allow you to choose from Jian Bing Man, Jianbing Company or Mr. Bing. This crepe-like treat begins with an egg or two, cracked and spread over the surface of the hot stove top, followed by a sprinkle of green onion and and cilantro. The crepe is flipped in half, brushed with bean and chili sauce and finished by adding a crispy cracker and folding once more. It’s the perfect on-the-go meal for any time of day.
2. Bulgogi: By now, most of us are familiar with Korean Barbecue or some type of Korean Fusion. Bulgogli still remains a top choice for street grub. This tender meat, brushed with a sweet and spicy glaze, sprinkled with sesame seeds can’t be beat, especially when followed up with pickled cucumber, carrots or tangy, sharp kimchi.
3. Arepas Imagine a pita pocket made with cornmeal and stuffed with delicious ingredients. Arepas, commonly found in Venezuela, are taking over the US food scene. With numerous yummy options ranging from vegetarian choices like spinach and mushroom to a classic marinated pork, arepas can satisfy any palate. For chicken salad fanatics, try the reina pepiada, a Venezuelan favorite that includes avocado. It’s also worth noting that pupusas, the Salvadoran thick corn tortillas stuffed with various ingredients, is a up and coming contender as well.
4. Grilled Cheese: Bacon, short rib, avocado, mac & cheese or caramelized onions sandwiched between thick, buttery sourdough slices and melty cheese. You name it, there is a grilled cheese option for everyone. The gourmet additions and ability to customize this classic sandwich have made it one of the most popular street food options this past year. In the mood for gooey goodness? Stop by Roxys, Misscheezious, or The Original Grilled Cheese Truck.
5. Dumplings (& Perogis, Empanadas, Potstickers, Goyza): Regardless of which variety of these bite sized comfort foods you prefer, you are bound to find a food truck serving steaming trays of them. Deep fried, pan fried or steamed, these little savory morsels pack a punch of flavor. Share with a group or hoard for yourself.
Don’t Ditch Dessert
Thai Rolled Ice Cream: Need something sweet to counteract your Korean tacos? Try a frosty cup of Thai rolled ice cream. Not only do you get a delicious, beautiful treat, you’ll also enjoy the mesmerizing process of watching the dessert come to life. The liquid mixture is poured onto a chill top and then scraped off into little almost rose like rolls and served in a cup.
After hearing about all these savory street eats? Want to pop out for some lunch?